
The Southern Transitional Council denied that it was disbanding on Saturday, contradicting a statement by one of its members that the group had decided to dissolve itself.
Yemen's main separatist group, the Southern Transitional Council, denied that it was disbanding on Saturday, contradicting a statement by one of its members that the group had decided to dissolve itself.
The conflicting statements highlight a split in the STC, a group backed by the United Arab Emirates that seized parts of southern and eastern Yemen in December in advances that heightened tensions with another Gulf power, Saudi Arabia.
Saudi Arabia and the UAE used to work together in a coalition battling the Iranian-backed terrorist organization, the Houthis, in Yemen's civil war, but the STC advances exposed their rivalry, bringing into focus big differences on a wide range of issues across the Middle East, ranging from geopolitics to oil output.
Saudi-backed forces retake STC seized land
Saudi-backed fighters have largely retaken the areas of southern and eastern Yemen that the STC seized, and an STC delegation has traveled to the Saudi capital Riyadh for talks.
But STC leader Aidarous al-Zubaidi skipped the planned meetings and fled Yemen on Wednesday, and the Saudi-led coalition accused the UAE of helping him escape on a flight that was tracked to a military airport in Abu Dhabi.
In an announcement broadcast on Saudi state media on Friday, one of the group's members said the STC had decided to disband.
In a statement issued on Saturday, the STC said it had held an "extraordinary meeting" following the announcement in Riyadh and declared it "null and void," saying it had been made "under coercion and pressure."
The group also said its members in Riyadh had been detained and were being "forced to issue statements."
The STC reiterated calls for mass protests in southern cities on Saturday, warning against any attempts that target the group's "peaceful activities."
Authorities in Aden that are aligned with Yemen's Saudi-backed government on Friday ordered a ban on demonstrations in the southern city, citing security concerns, according to an official directive seen by Reuters.
latest_posts
- 1
Big Bear glows with big stars | Space photo of the day for Dec. 31, 2025 - 2
Moon rocket and weather are on NASA's side for the first astronaut launch in decades - 3
Figure out How to Stay away from Normal Handshaking Missteps - 4
Two die and thousands homeless after flooding hits Russia's Dagestan - 5
Bowen Yang is reportedly leaving 'Saturday Night Live' after this week's episode
Picking the Right Doctor prescribed Medication Inclusion in Senior Protection.
'Women on the floor, riddled with bullets': Ex-hostage Rom Braslavski recounts 'horrors' of Oct. 7
Bondi Beach survivor criticizes police for inaction during terror attack
Grasping Various Kinds of Local misdemeanors
High Court weighs Assenheim appeal over release of Feldstein interview raw footage
6 Famous Urban communities for Shopping on the planet
Africa's energy giants eye long-term gains on Iran war disruption
'The best gift ever': Baby is born after the rarest of pregnancies, defying all odds
Violence 'never part' of break-in plan, court told












