
In a response to the High Court, Defense Minister Katz accused Army Radio workers of presenting false claims amid legal challenges to the station’s closure.
Defense Minister Israel Katz sharply criticized the Army Radio workers' union in his response to the High Court of Justice on Monday, accusing the organization of attempting to mislead the court through what he described as false affidavits.
Katz's accusations came in response to the petition filed by Army Radio workers, which challenged the decision, with a consolidated hearing scheduled for the end of January.
Katz announced the decision to shutter the military broadcaster last week, with the closure slated to take effect in March.
Army Radio has been broadcasting for 75 years, and has long served as a training ground for generations of Israeli journalists. The government has argued that the army has no business operating a news station, especially one that it especially one that it claims leans toward one side of the political map.
Petitions were immediately filed against the decision. Supreme Court President Isaac Amit said a hearing would be set for the end of January, but declined to issue an interim order freezing the decision.
Another petition was issued two days later, when workers said they had received notice that their employment would be frozen as early as this week. The Defense Ministry denied these claims.
A narrative conjured from nothing
In his response on Sunday, Katz argued that the arguments - backed by affidavits signed by two senior figures in the radio station - were “a case of ‘creation ex nihilo’ - a narrative conjured from nothing. In reality, none of it occurred.”
Following the government's vote to shutter the station last week, Katz issued two directives: first, to cease recruiting for Army Radio and redirect those already recruited to other military tracks; second, to start the process of transferring current military personnel at the outlet to other posts by February 15.
This would not apply to Galgalatz, the popular music station operated by the IDF.
Part of the issue is the advisers to the station. The government's decision includes, as preparation for the new calendar year, processes that ensure that the contracts of these advisors don't extend beyond February 2, to pave the way for the station’s closure.
Katz's response attacked the petition, which, according to the defense minister, falsely portrayed the situation as if operations would be effectively stalled on January 1.
Yonah Jeremy Bob contributed to this report.
latest_posts
- 1
Ariana Grande to host 'Saturday Night Live' Christmas show with Cher as musical guest, returning after nearly 40 years - 2
Looter indicted after pretending to be emergency worker at Dimona rocket crash site - 3
Dramatic Dominance d: A Survey of \Feelings in front of an audience\ Theater Play - 4
Landslides triggered by heavy rainfall kill at least 20 people in Tanzania - 5
New images reveal interstellar comet 3I/ATLAS approaching Earth
Astronomers may have spotted the 1st known 'superkilonova' double star explosion
Louisiana seeks California doctor’s extradition, testing the limits of shield laws
The secret appeal of Harlan Coben’s messy, addictive TV thrillers
Rescuers give up hope for the humpback whale stranded in the Baltic Sea
ABC News' Sam Champion opens up about recent health scare
'It's doing badly': Fears grow for whale stuck off Germany's coast
Tickets for 'Stranger Things' Season 5 finale, to be shown in movie theaters on New Year's Eve, go on sale today. Here's how you can save your seat.
General Atlantic says ‘biggest mistake’ would be pulling back on Gulf deals
Manual for Famous people Known for Their Altruistic Endeavors










